So I just came across this article on Pinterest this morning. I read through it once and immediately fell in love.
The list is thoughtful and genuine and I agree with everything on the list. My 25th birthday is creeping closer and closer (it is almost exactly 4 months away, eee!) so I believe this list comes to me at the perfect time. There are a few things I can check off already, and a few items I need to work on. Here are some of my favorites.
2. The goal of a bank account with a few months’ living expenses in it, if she doesn’t have that already. Just in case. My dad has always stressed the importance of saving your money. Ever since I had my first job babysitting he has taught me to pay myself first aka put money into a savings account and do not touch it unless for an emergency or a special occasion. I’ve followed his advice as best as I can I fortunately do have a good amount of savings as a cushion in case anything goes wrong (God forbid!)
4. A best friend who is like a sister. I am seriously one of the luckiest girls in the world when it comes to friends. I have 6 girls who I know I can come to for anything and who I genuinely consider as my family. They all live in different locations and we don’t see each other like we used to, but when we do reunite, it is like no time has passed.
7. A closet of what she considers to be her “staples,” and among these things, something to wear to an interview, funeral, wedding, impromptu Friday night drink at a casual bar and dream date if ever someone were to call out of the blue. I’m working on this. I have never been much of a shopper (I know, shock) so when I do buy clothing, I need to know I will really love and use it many, many times. As I’ve aged my style has changed and evolved. Most of the time, I just want something easy and comfortable, but lately I’ve been trying to find pieces that are stylish and classic as well. I even created a list recently of staples for my wardrobe (I’ll share that in a later post!)
12. The recipes for a number of easy meals memorized. I have these! It’s just all about actually making them now, hahaha.
16. Enough of a healthy relationship with her body that her contentment no longer hinges on comparison, or what her partner would think. This is and (unfortunately) I think always will be a struggle for me. I’ve had my fair share of problems with body acceptance and self-confidence in the past. I continue to work on my relationship with myself every day and I feel better than I have in a long time. But still, it can be hard to love yourself sometimes.
17. At least one date in her memory with the kind of partner who wouldn’t care about those things anyway. My boyfriend is my best friend. He tells me all the time how beautiful he thinks I am and how much he loves me. I couldn’t ask for a better partner.
21. A relationship with her mother, even if it’s the decision that their relationship will be at least functioning, if not familial. My mom is my rock, my friend, my sounding board, my decorator, my everything. Seriously I don’t know where I would be without her.
25. An idea of who she wants to be. I have an idea and I’m running with it!
What do you think of the list? What are some items you have accomplished and what do you still need to work on?