Can we please just all agree compliments are fantastic? Real, genuine compliments are the absolute best things in the world. To give and to get. But do you ever find the compliments you are giving and receiving to be a little, well, shallow? The most common compliments seem to be “I love your dress” or “you’re shoes are too cute” or even “you look beautiful” from a significant other. And certainly being told you look genuinely beautiful is a wonderful thing to hear, but wouldn’t it be nice to hear some other compliments as well?
Well not too long ago a came across this list via Tumblr (feel free to follow me here). I saved for use at a later date. One of my recent goals is to show the people I love and care about how much I appreciate them. Giving compliments is a small way to do that so I pulled out this list to give me some inspiration for meaningful compliments. See the list below!
- You’re empowering.
- I like your voice.
- You’re strong.
- I think your ideas/beliefs matter.
- I’m so happy you exist.
- More people should be listening to what you have to say.
- You’re a very warm hearted person.
- It’s nice seeing such kindness.
- You’re very down to earth.
- You have a beautiful soul.
- You inspire me to become a better person.
- Our conversations bring me a lot of joy.
- It’s good to see someone care so much.
- You’re so understanding.
- You matter a lot to me.
- You’re important even if you don’t think so.
- You’re intelligent.
- Your passion is contagious.
- Your confidence is refreshing.
- You restore my faith in humanity.
- You’re great at being creative.
- You’re so talented at ____.
- I don’t get tired of you the way I get tired of other people.
- You have great taste in ___.
- I’m happy I stayed alive long enough to meet you.
- I wish more people were like you.
- You’re so good at loving people.
Can you imagine receiving one of these compliments? Definitely way better than just having a cute purse. My personal favorites are “I’m so happy you exist” and “You’re so good at loving people.”
What are you favorites from the list? Can you see yourself using compliments similar to these?